What to Expect from a Visit to a Vein Specialist
Your first visit to a vein specialist can be a nerve-wracking experience. Here is some information to help you prepare for your appointment.
About Vein Specialists
A vein specialist is a physician who is trained to evaluate and diagnose vein condition. Vein specialists are also capable of administering various treatments to patients with vein disease in order to improve their symptoms.
During you first visit to a vein specialist, the doctor will examine your abnormal veins. To make this part of the appointment as easy as possible, be sure to wear loose fitting clothing that will allow your doctor to access the affected veins without difficulty. Your doctor will also ask you questions about your symptoms, as well as any at-home treatments you have tried. Be prepared to answer these questions in as much detail as possible.
Once the doctor has completed the exam and reviewed your medical history, he or she will diagnose your condition. Depending on the circumstances, you may be diagnosed with spider veins, varicose veins or both. If the doctor suspects another issue or complication, further testing may be recommended before you decide on a course of treatment.
A vein specialist will offer a range of treatments to meet the needs of various patients. Here at the St. Louis Vein & Endovascular, for example, we offer multiple treatments for both spider veins and varicose veins. Some of the treatments you may consider for these conditions include:
- Sclerotherapy – During sclerotherapy, a special solution is injected into spider veins or varicose veins. This solution irritates the walls of the vein and causes them to collapse. It may be performed with or without the help of ultrasound guidance.
- Endovenous Laser Ablation – Endovenous laser ablation treats abnormal veins with laser energy, which seals them off and diverts blood into healthier blood vessels. This treatment is appropriate even for varicose veins located deep within the skin.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy – Ambulatory phlebectomy is a surgical procedure used to remove superficial varicose veins from the body entirely.
- Radiofrequency Ablation – Radiofrequency ablation involves the administration of radiofrequency energy into the interior of the vein with a small catheter.
- VeinGoghOhmic Thermolysis – VeinGoghOhmic Thermolysis is a superficial laser treatment designed to improve the appearance of spider veins.
Make an Appointment
If you are interested in visiting a vein specialist, please contact the St. Louis Vein & Endovascular today to make an appointment.